View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #17
03heritagerider

Default Re: Electrical problems

Sorry for the delay, but we have had some business issues that needed our attention and I'm just getting back now.

Anyway, we found the problem...as you may recall, the inverter was getting very hot when we were off shore power. We were headed back toward home when I discovered the real problem.

When we went from the New Orleans area to the Memphis area, My wife kept saying that she smelled exhaust when we were driving. The inverter was very hot when we arrived at our destination, but cooled as soon as the engine was off. We stayed for a week in the campground. When leaving, we stopped for fuel and I checked the compartment again and it was hot (engine running), but I noticed that there seemed to be heat coming from the air vent in the side of the compartment.

I grabbed a screwdriver and removed the vent...on the other side of the vent, about 3 inches away was a section of the exhaust pipe. This pipe had a hole in it and was blowing the hot engine exhaust into the compartment. The inverter was not overheating, but was actually being heated, cooked if you will, by the exhaust. I bought some exhaust repair tape to try to temporarily fix it, but it didn't last too long.

We got to a Midas in Bowling Green, KY, and they were able to replace the section ($300.00) and we were on our way after about a 4 hour delay. No issues the rest of the way home.