View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
Chuck v

Default Re: Jack Knife Couch Removal

Dick,

Like Don, I have a 2007 TourMaster 40-C floor plan that had the jack knife couch immediately behind the co-pilot seat. When I took mine out, I disassembled it first to make it easy to carry -- the back comes off the frame, the seat cushion comes off the two end arm/frame pieces, and as you have probably learned already that the front lower trim just lifts straight up off the frame when the seat cushion is lifted prior to any dis assembly needing tools. All of these individual parts are quite light, and I have them wrapped in plastic and in the garage loft should I ever need them again.

In place of the jack knife couch we now have a recliner and a small table. Having the couch out allows the co-pilot chair to turn enough to face into the living area when we setup at a destination. We really enjoy the extra window space on that side of the coach that was exposed...the seat back of the couch blocked the lower portion when it was there. Also, the recliner can now be positioned to comfortably view the upgraded Samsung true HD TV that we put up in the front when we replaced the original equipment Jensen that was pretty marginal.

Another choice would have been to replace the jack knife couch with a reclining loveseat but we went the more 'open' route, and with just the two of us we did not need to maximize the number of seat belt positions during travel.

As Don said, the seat belts are not part of the sofa mounting so you need to decide if you want to leave them there should you want to reverse the changes at some time in the future. You cannot ride in the single recliners under way -- if you want that feature, you need to mount another co-pilot chair or similar which limits comfort as compared to a real recliner. The short-lived mid-engined coaches (by Newmar, as I recall) had such a feature for a brief time...

My recliner also does not move around during motion as Don observed...but to keep it from coming forward in case of an accident, we use the rear set of original seat belts to secure the base. Overly cautious perhaps, but it keeps the co-pilot from fretting about that so she can concentrate on my driving...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote