View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 10:07 PM   #1
riverofcode

Default House battery charge failure

Hi all,

Last Friday my wife and I purchased a 2008 Tour Master T40c and drove it home. When we got to the dealer, some 400 miles away, one of the things he was having issues with were "house batteries were bad, we're replacing them now". They went about replacing the 4 6v batteries in the nose of the coach with 4 12v ones. Yeah, they don't exactly fit but I will sort that out. Feeling good we head home with the generator running so we could cool the coach with the roof A/C units. When we stopped for the night at a Walmart we left the generator running expecting to be all happy in the morning. About 4am the first A/C shut down... then the rest of them in series. Then the CO detector started beeping...guess we lost 12v house power. The fridge was still happy though and the Xantrax panel up in the front cabinet was showing a "float charge" and battery status was just fine. I tinker around a bit with tools I just bought but can't get it working. By this time we're up and decide to just hit the road. I fire up the engine and drive off. We stopped some time later and the battery status panel in the hallway now shows batteries nearing 80%. We make it home in one piece and plug into shore power figuring that all will be well by the next day. Nope. House batteries ... and now chassis batteries are nearing dead. Can't start engine anymore. Generator is more than happy to fire up at the click of the button though. I also noticed that the one battery link strap on the chassis batteries was not healthy and will be replacing that. Looks like it had a loose connection at some point and got hot under the post cap before we even picked it up. I need to find a replacement for that cable.

Summary: Apparently the generator is not charging the 2 house batteries in the rear compartment, shore power is also not charging those 2 house batteries, I found out in this forum that chassis batteries are only charged by the engine(seems stupid and I will be getting a Trik-L-Start).

Question is: Do I start at the converter or ATS under the bed? I would expect that the Xantrax is just fine up front since those batteries seem just fine.

Sorry for the long post, I had to vent.
Thanks,
Scott
riverofcode is offline   Reply With Quote