View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
natemoore

Default just because it looks okay....

We got rid of our pop-up and bought a FEMA trailer. We were excited because we got a 2006 Cavalier for $3000 and it looked and smell great on the inside! You should take a look at my other post "Why your FEMA trailer has roof leaks."

Go to Harbor Freight tools and buy a $45 pronged moisture meter and start probing around the walls and ceilings in the corners and also probe around the floors, especially near the corners. You may not like what you find.

I also don't think just resealing the roof will help. I did the same thing, but could still see traces of new water on the inside frame after a hard rain. I think it will just give a false sense of security.

But even if it does stop the leak, you may still have wet insulation and mold behind the walls.

In the master bedroom, everything looked great with no obvious signs of water intrusion, and the roof seam in the front had no cracks and had been resealed at least once before I got it, but you can see the results.

I remodel kitchens in Pensacola, FL, but since I'm ready to throw in the towel, I was thinking about starting a FEMA trailer restoration company since the government has auctioned off, what, 140,000 trailers? Buy one for $3K, put two or three thousand more into it, and you're still WAY, WAY ahead of the people who go to Camping World and shell out $25,000 for the same basic thing. Those people won't touch a FEMA trailer and they treat you like you're white trash if you don't drive a diesel pusher.