View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #28
Sudsy

Default Whirlpool 21.4 cubic ft.

Hello all;

We were able to get the old Dometic side by side and the new Whirlpool

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-2...eel/1000332339

in and out of the passengers window after removing the window. It was quite an operation. Had a weight lifter friend lay on the fully reclined passenger seat and used a fork lift to slide the old one out on his chest and we loaded the new one with all the shipping material intact by putting it in bottom first on it's side3. The handles were packed inside the unit so the front was smooth. He just slid the thing off of the forks and with help from inside they stood it up. While two guys reinstalled and sealed the passenger window we unpacked the fridge. They youngsters were able to lift the thing up the 12 inches or so and it slid right in. Oh yea, we had top remove some of the original trin since this fridge goes all the way to the ceiling.

Now I am a little concerned with rattles from the glass shelves. Also just the glass shelves themselves. I have installed a childproof drawer/cabinet latch that just sticks on to give me a little bit better feeling about the doors staying closed. I think my first attempt at a fix is going to be some clear Gorrilla tape tabs (small) on each shelf on top about halfway back. If they give me too much trouble I will have plastic or plexiglass cut to replace them. There are only three or four.

I have sealed the refrigerator outside access panel with aluminum tape and added a sheet of 1 inch insulation behind the fridge.

The original gas line for the old unit comes up about 2 inches inside the outer wall alongside the water line for the ice maker. Right now it is still there and the fridge sticks out about 4 inches further than the original unit. If we decide we can't live with the fridge sticking out I will remove the line and re-route the water line and push the fridge back the additional 2 inches.

Here are some applicable pictures. Wish I had thought to video the job.

Sudsy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-03-05 16.20.23.jpg (120.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg fridge (5).jpg (142.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg fridge (3).jpg (113.6 KB, 2 views)