View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #29
38Chevy454

Default Re: Trouble with ABS Controller.

My story - not quite a brake controller, but related. I had brakes dragging and causing the brake pressure and ABS lights to come on. I unplugged the big ABS fuse thinking it was an ABS actuation problem. Maybe it seemed to help some, but of course that made a beeping alarm that is about enough to drive you crazy. Even tried wrapping alarm with a paper napkin to dull the sound. Can't wrap it fully as it is enclosed in a sealed area.

Long story short, I ended up melting a couple ABS sensors, and overheated brakes all around. The official diagnosis was a master cylinder holding pressure. Of course this all happened when on a trip, so bend over at the dealer. New master cyl, new calipers all four corners, new pads all four corners, new rotors all four corners, and four new ABS sensors. Approx $6000 of repair costs.

I tried to get Meritor to cover as it only had 24K miles. They would not since age was over warranty. Took three days at dealer in Denver waiting to get repairs done. Needless to say it ruined that trip.

To compound the issue I talked with Meritor rep and determined the brakes are not bled properly by dealer. It has to have a computer hooked up to get all air out of the brake controller unit;requiring the computer program to pulse the controller while it is pressure bled. I was at dealer and saw it was just normal pedal pump bled. So I still have some air in the system which causes excessive times to pump up the controller to full pressure after not running MH for a while.

The Gulfstream part of MH has been fine, it is the International chassis part that has problems for me!

2008 Supernova 6331
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote