View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #2
Ron Tittle

Smile Removal of water pump

I was able to remove the water pump by removing some of the center console over the engine in order to access the fan, shaft nut and pump. Having a person underneath assisting with placement of the socket on the bolts and someone reaching over the engine to help turn the ratchet and loosen the top bolts helped. I first removed the bolts to the fan and fan clutch. I did not have a wrench large enough for the shaft nut (about 1 7/8 or 2") so I used a large pipe wrench from the bottom while someone on top wedged the round housing over the pump shaft next to the pump. Once the shaft nut was loosened I placed the fan and clutch carefully in the radiator shroud against the fins. It was a little challenge reaching the five pump bolts - being careful to not strip the heads trying to apply pressure to loosen them. Then it was a challenge hammering and prying the pump. After continuing to pry and tap the water pump it popped loose and radiator fluid gushed out. I had not drained the fluid since I wasn't planning to remove the radiators. Next step is to clean the area around the pump opening and install the new pump along with belts and hoses.
Ron Tittle is offline   Reply With Quote