View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
joedirt1217

Default Re: Sun Room Atrium Specific Class A Model Information

I have a 2004 Atrium 8410. While traveling I kept hearing a whistling noise. Took awhile to figure out it was a leak around the windshield from deformed fiberglass front nose piece. Talked to a repair facility in Florida where they said there were several cases for this happening on Gulfstream class As. His suggestion was to look for a great body man when I got home. I am confident that this deforming at the upper outside corners of the windshield is caused mainly by the weight of the overhead mirrors. The gap between the glass and the fiberglass had increased to about 2 inches. Wow. After taping it up for a few thousand miles I am back home.
After removing some interior panels and the front TV which we never used, I was able to place a slidelock against the TV cabinet and force the fiberglass back into shape and get the gasket to fit the windshield and the fiberglass. When the slidelock was removed the fiberglass seemed to stay in place. I don't have any confidence that it will stay like that for long.
I plan to place some blocking between the side of a cabinet and the fiberglass to keep it from moving again. The blocking will cross the curtain path so I will move the curtain track to the bottom of overhead cabinets which will work fine. I think I can get by with this repair and still leave the mirrors on top. But I am considering moving the mirrors to below the windshield by moving them to the opposite side of the coach and mounting them upside down. Or I may purchase after market side mount mirrors.
I would suggest that anyone looking at purchasing a Gulfstream Coach or ppl that have them to closely inspect this area of the windshield.
The nose piece has very little mass at this location and really needs more support for those big mirrors. Barely seems sufficient to hold the glass inplace. Just poor design. The mirrors present too much force there and especially when running down the road at 75mph.
joedirt1217 is offline   Reply With Quote