View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
Barometer

Default Shower door sweep replacement

Three months ago I purchased a 1999 Gulfstream Classic and among of its several minor issues, it has a torn shower door bottom sweep.

The shower door sweep fits in a slot in the bottom door frame. Using an old dental pick I was able to coax a section out of the slot, and it looks like it has a half round head, about 3/16" across and its about 3/4" in width. Now one of the issues is the old sweep appears to be made of rubber, while all the new sweeps I can find are vinyl. The other and bigger issue is that I am wary of trying to unscrew the bottom door frame and tapping the bottom frame down far enough so that I can access the end of the slot to make installation of the new sweep possible. With my luck I would smash the glass or tear the seal that the glass sits in, or not be able to get the bottom back in.
I might have been able to shove a rubber sweep into the slot, but a more rigid vinyl sweep, I don't think so.
The other option I thought about was removing the half round top of the new sweep, put silicone along the upper edge and just shove it up into the slot, squeezing more silicone in to fill any voids.

Has any one had any experience with replacing their sweeps?
Barometer is offline   Reply With Quote