View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 10:56 AM   #7
neondon

2004 Friendship 41' pusher. Roof leak in heavy rain, dripping from seam in ceiling vinyl, 3" long, over TV opening-wetting carpet after dripping on switch console to right of driver. Pressing and sliding a finger toward that opening produces a drizzle of a tablespoon or two of water from the sponge foam ceiling backer. I suspect and will replace the front A/C seal. Another probable cause is minor cracks in the fiberglass roofing. The low areas of the front corners of the roof have been sealed with silicone, then covered as well with self-leveling caulk from a caulking tube. Two runs around that air conditioner with self-leveling, for about 1/4" was also applied. I need to replace that old seal, and inspect the actual A/C condensate drain path over the roof, making sure I didn't block it. Caulking was done around antenna, vent, and other openings as much as possible. The motorhome was jacked level when first notice occurred, but now sits nose low about 1/4" per foot.
After using a dry paint roller against the ceiling to push water toward that exit point, and finally using a shop vacuum cleaner crevice tool for an hour, no sign of liquid water remains at that point. That paint roller treatment seems to have located the wet ceiling area forward of the front air conditioner, so that new seal, on order, or the suggested careful tightening, may be the solution.
Is that Eternabond material available in wider tape, or a liquid? I sure would like to get it DONE. The drying out process will still take weeks with a blower and dry air. That blower, along with some soapy water spray over the roof, may show bubbles where the leaks are...
neondon is offline   Reply With Quote