View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
Texas TC

I would think the springs should not be changed. I have not driven a 6400 but have had some concerns about them since they were introduced. I have one of the first 6331 models made in early 2007 and I really think the setup is best for the short frame coaches. First of all, the wheelbase to length ratio on the 34' is .65 which is the best ratio I have seen in the industry. The 6400 ratio is .58 even with the longer wheelbase which gives more rear hang over to cause the coach to handle worse in certain situations. Second, my coach fully loaded with driver, passenger, gear, fuel, and water weighs 21,600# on a certified truck scale which leaves a lot of extra CCC before hitting the GVWR of 25,999# listed in the coach as gross acceptable weight. I have not seen what a 6400 weighs in the same configuration. Third, the balance on the 6331 is 42.5% on the front axle and 57.5% on the rear (again loaded as described above).

I may be totally off base here because I have not seen the statistics I have listed for mine on the 6400. It just seems to me that the extra overhang and weight in the rear of those models. not to mention the extra capacity for water, must take away from the balance attained with the 6331.

Mine is not perfect my wife reminds me. It is perfect from the drivers seat but is a bit bumpy in the rear of the coach. Unlike some who have posted here that they have actually broke mirrors and wood. All I have ever done is bounced some clothes off the hangers in the wardrobe closet. Other than that, all is great with our coach and we have over 24000 miles to date on it.

I hope you find some resolution to your problem. I just don't think springs are the answer. I am affraid that it is in the balance of that size coach. JMHO.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote