View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #5
Chuck v

Todd,

I am not at all familiar with the Conquest (but certainly have encountered the lack of usable information in the packets being supplied with a coach -- even my large Diesel Pusher...) I suspect that when you mentioned "inverter" above you may have been actually describing the converter -- the device that powers the RV's DC loads off shore power when it is available... My coach has both an Inverter and a converter, as the inverter powers the residential refrigerator that only runs on 115v AC. Because of this, there are actually two transfer switches in my coach.

The main transfer switch is under the bed where the converter is also located. The basement bay just below this is where the power reel for the 50 amp shore power is located, so it is a more logical location than you might at first think. This transfer switch select between the shore power and the diesel generator (in my case 220 volt @ 35 amp) so both air conditioners can be operated in either case. Downstream of that transfer switch is the Generator/inverter complex. When the generator is not operating, there is a transfer switch in the inverter that allows it to power selected AC loads like the refrigerator, basement freezer, etc. if the generator is not running at the moment. This second transfer switch is I believe internal to the massive Inverter which is in a basement bay just below the driver's seat -- note that the inverter contains a battery charger that services the 4 golf cart batteries which supply the DC into the inverter to make into 115 VAC when needed. On my coach this bank of batteries is also what cranks/starts the diesel generator.

There are of course other battery banks on my coach -- two diesel start batteries for the main engine, and two more for the 'house' loads like the lights, etc. These two banks do have disconnect switches located at the stairwell so you can shut them off as you exit for a prolonged time away from the coach if you need to. Obviously these two switches actually control high current actuators in a rear basement bay on the curb side adjacent to the battery banks for engine and house.

Since I live in my coach more than 50% of the time, I have added a battery maintainer to my diesel start batteries to keep them up...normally they would only be charged when the engine is running.

Sorry for the long post -- hope some of it might be helpful.

Chuck

...oh, and the water heater switch on my coach to allow AC power to heat the water instead of propane IS in the same panel as all the other controls and level indicators...score one for logic for the really expensive, large diesel pusher class of coaches.

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote