View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
psgoodale

Default Re: Water pump and hot water heater ignitor issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittythtbear
I looked for the grounding block, and found a set of white 12v wires going to screw terminals. All of these were snug. I checked the HWH and pushed the reset buttons, and...the ignitor worked and the hwh started heating, then, it turned itself off. But, the pilot light indicator inside is not lit. What do I look for now?

Some hot water heaters/furnaces have a flame rod. When the main flame comes on there is an electrical pass from the flame rod, through the flame, then to ground, to prove there is flame. If the voltage doesn't complete this circuit, it shuts off the burner. Usually clean the carbon soot off the sensor and check for corroded connections. When a main flame comes on briefly then shuts off this is usually the case. I am not familiar with your particular system but a schematic would be helpful to determine the sequence of operation. Could there be a water pressure sensor as a safety? Perhaps a water level sensor? I imagine there must be a safety interlock to prevent the water heater from operation if there is not enough water in it or a bad sensor. Some heaters have a continuity sensor to determine if there is water and they need to be cleaned. Have you gotten this fixed?
psgoodale is offline   Reply With Quote