Thread: Solar Generator
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
Deany41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcee237 View Post
We have a 04 Cruiser that I would like to add a solar generator to supplement our existing generator. Any recommendations?
I installed two 100 W panels on roof. Purchased on Amazon- Renogy is brand. Comes with controller and parts to install. I had to buy extra cable. The secret to install on roof is using well nuts to mount panels. The roof is thin fiberglass (or some such material). Using the brackets in the kit with appropriate length bolts and well nuts my installation was very strong, and has held up against high winds while driving etc. I also got an fitting designed for making entry of the cables thru the roof which seals the wires from water, etc. Got from Amazon.
I mounted control panel at the power distribution panel where I could snake wires from the closet above and attach directly to the cables going to the batteries. I settled for some lack of solar efficiency by mounting on roof. Did not want to haul around panels to put outside. Decided if I did not have enough solar I could mount a third panel. Most all our camping is in campgrounds without services. Where I used to run the generator much after 3 to 4 days to recharge ( I only use lights, water pump, etc, not TV's, coffee makers, hair dryers etc) or rarely use the generator only for using heavy appliances. I switched all lights to LED's as well for amp reduction.
Good Luck.
Deany41 is offline   Reply With Quote