View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
GGB

Default Re: Pulling a Visa 19

It all depends what you feel comfortable with. Can your RX tow that trailer, the answer is yes. Will you feel comfortable towing the trailer, only you can answer that question. All trailers I have owned the purchase was always conditional on a test tow, not sure if you can find dealers in your area willing to let you do a test tow. Main problem with towing at your max weight is that most set ups are not done properly. One issue when you are using a WD hitch is that you can not get the full weight transfer due to the fact that most hitches will start flexing so maximum weight transfer is not achieved. We are in the process of buying a 23CSK (4198lbs as it sits on the dealer lot) and will be towing with a 2010 Toyota Sienna with the factory tow package. In addition to the tow package I have added an external transmission cooler, progressive brake controller, and also I had my hitch reinforced and extended under the van so that the weight distribution transfer loads are closer to the rear axle. In addition to the WD hitch I will be using dual friction sway controls. Up to now I have towed a 20ft hybrid TT that weighs in around 4100 lbs loaded for a trip and have not had any issues. I have travelled to the west coast of Canada through the Rockies last summer and other than slowing down to about 55mph on the steepest grades in the right lane (still passing transport trucks on those grades) had no issues. I easily maintain 65mph in other areas and could have gone faster but then the mileage or lack of was insane. At 65mph average mileage was 12 US mpg for the round trip from Toronto Ontario to Vancouver BC and back. I have a friend that tows a 28ft Airstream at 7300lbs with a 2011 Toyota Sienna set up the same way as mine. When I figure out how to post some photos of set up I will. To the OP not sure where you are located but if you contact CanAm RV in London Ontario check out their web site to see the combinations they have set up. If you are close enough they have many set ups of their own that you can actual do a test tow before you buy. They are the only RV dealer that truly knows how to set up proper towing combinations. here is their web site http://www.canamrv.ca. Good luck and only you will know what you are comfortable with.