View Single Post
Old 12-28-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
TSoul

Send a message via Yahoo to TSoul

My mistake on the dryer outlet I forgot they were 30amps and not 50 amps. All that you say seems to be correct to me also.
I have a 50 amp service in my motor home that goes thru a surge gaurd that is hard wired ( I totally recomend this set up). Then it goes to a inverter/charger that is 50 amps and puts out 3000W. Now when I run both AC units, on one line each and I run say the microwave or other heavey loads (basically having everything on at once) I draw maybe 30 on one line and 30-40 on the other line and together they excede 50amps. I concluded that because a 30 amp breaker is a single pole breaker and a 50amp is a double breaker then I can pull more amps than just 50amps but not more than 50 amps on any one line. That is why I say there is a total of 100amps. Each breaker of the 50amp allows 50amps to flow thru.
Now I will ad my disclaimer. I am a electronics person not really a proper electician. My research has lead me to believe the above to be correct however, what I have learned maybe flawed. I am not the type to make a hard stand on anyone point and not admit when I am wrong. So please don't feel that I am taking that type of stance here. I will admidt when I am wrong but would like to have good information to learn from so that I know I am wrong. Thanks for your expinations. I hope the original poster got his answer and not more confusion. Sorry if I mucked things up.