View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #12
03heritagerider

Default Re: Electrical problems

O.K. The latest...

The new Xantrex inverter/charger/converter arrived on Wednesday afternoon. On Thursday I set to installing it.

Reading the installation instructions seemed very straight forward. Positive to positive - Negative to negative - white to white - black to black - ground to grounding block - plus I had the old one to use as a guide..

Started to take the old one out and it was also a very simple process of disconnecting wires. When I took the front cover off to disconnect the wires that came from shore power, that's when I saw the problem. The wiring was charred and melted together.

I put the new one in - wired it all up and it took less than an hour to complete the entire job.

I tested the unit by plugging the shore power back in...It started to hum and the charge light came on, as it should.
I then disconnected the shore power and went into the coach and hit the invert button on the remote panel and the 110 v power came on, as it should.

All was well...then...

Yesterday afternoon we left our campground and moved to another one about 25 miles away. When we arrived and I opened the compartment to get the shore power line, I noticed the heat coming from that compartment. I touched the Xantrex and it was hot. Plugged in the shore power and the unit cooled down and it operating perfectly.

Here is my conclusion/quandry...It seems that when the coach is running and we are driving, something is causing the inverter to heat up. As long as I'm on shore power all is well.

I won't be able to contact Xantrex until Monday, so...any ideas???

P.S. There were no issues with the dash battery light or voltage drop on the short drive to this location. We're booked here until March 1st.