View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
e3steve

Default Re: battery wiring diagram

Hi, I am in the UK, and this is my first post on this forum, anyway I have a gulfsteam sunstream, 1990, on a John Deere/ Oshcosh chassis. I have just had to sort my battery situation out as those who had it before me had overridden the split charge relay. This should allow you to use the leisure batteries without flattening the engine battery. It was flattening them all as they had wired it, so I simply fitted an isolater to manually split the batteries. It now has one engine battery that can be isolated from the two leisure batteries, so there is always power to start the engine and then turn the isolator to charge them all up, or also if you left something on and flattened the engine battery, then you can turn the iso switch to join them all back together to start the engine. The proper type split charge relay kits are quite expensive, but a simple isolator is very cheap. I dont know if I can do you a diagram, but basically you wire all the batteries in parallel, giving 12v to all the systems, and then put an isolator in line to the engine battery. The original relay, which would be at the top of the big fusebox under the bonnet, would automatically let all batteries charge with the engine running, but not allow the engine battery to go flat alongside the leisure batteries. Sorry if I am waffling on a bit, but I am trying to make as simple as I can. I could maybe do a photo if I can work out how to do it.
e3steve is offline   Reply With Quote