View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
Chuck v

On the later TourMaster coaches like mine with the residential refrigerators there are actually three sets of batteries -- the chassis batteries to start the diesel engine, the 'house' batteries to run the 12 volt lighting and low voltage appliances, and the inverter batteries that power the 110 volt inverter for the fridge, microwave, large TV, etc. in the absence of shore power (or generator power.) These inverter batteries are also used to start the generator. The inverter battery bank is a set of 4 each 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series/parallel to make a high capacity 12 volt source for the inverter. When the inverter has either generator power or shore power available, it charges the inverter battery bank.

The chassis batteries (two 12 volt diesel starting batteries in parallel) are charged by the engine driven alternator. I have also provided a float charger that keeps them up if connected to shore power for long periods where the coach is not driven.

The house batteries ( another pair of 12 volt batteries in parallel) are charged by the 12 volt converter under the bed...this is the typical RV style 12 volt converter that both charges the house batteries and provides 12 volts to the lighting and low voltage accessories when connected to shore power, or running on the generator.

Keep your batteries clean, inspected and properly watered and you will get years of service out of them. I live aboard my coach and have had only normal maintenance issues, but they do need regular checking on their condition. The life expectancy of a lead acid battery is highly reduced by letting it get fully discharged or having the electrolyte level below the tops of the plates.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote