View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #10
RJ82much

Dave,

The dash button puts the house & engine batteries together only as long as you hold the button. If you can't start your engine & you are on shore power, hold the button in for maybe 3 minutes. That should put some charge into the engine battery. Then, still holding the dash button in, try the ignition to start your engine. If the engine starts, let up on the dash button - its job is done & the alternator will take it from there.

If the engine won't turn over enough to start after the 1st try, continue to hold it for another period of time. Monitor that you're accomplishing something by turning on the headlights for a short time. They should glow normally if you are getting charge to the engine battery. (Just don't keep them on)

"They" say to not leave dissimilar batteries connected in parallel for long periods of time. I believe it, & wouldn't do it myself. So no, don't be tempted to jamb the dash button down for extended periods of time. You could overcharge some cells in one of your batteries & shorten it's life.

There is nothing to reset in the Intellitec IRD. The dash button merely bypasses the controller for the actual relay coil. It reverts to normal, automatic operation when you release the dash button.

Someone else may be able to shed some light on the block heater. In my tractor, I can hear a faint noise in the area of the heater, like oil bubbling? Shees, I hope not.

Just a word of caution while you are evaluating the heater for a potential short. As you stand on the damp earth outside your coach, be carefull you don't become the path to ground. If you follow exactly as I described, you'll be fine, even if there is a bad block heater. It's a good idea to enlist the help or advice of your licensed electrician friend. (That's called a sanity check in my business)

Good luck - work safe - let us know what you find out

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote