View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
sam75

Default Re: Pulling a Visa 19

We tow our 19ERD with a 2009 Honda Pilot 4WD with tow package, which has the same engine as GGB has, and very similar to yours. We use an Equalizer 6000/600 hitch (not the E2 but the full 4-way) and experience no sway at all from passing big rigs or crosswinds. Since our Visa has the infamous marginally rated 3500lb axle, we don't take all the hitch weight off of the Pilot (and transfer about 1/3 of it on the trailer axle and 2/3 on the front Pilot axles), but less than half of it. Some of the remaining rear end sag we would normally have is taken care of by Airlift 1000 air bags I put on the Pilot (a well spent $175 - very nice addition for heavily loaded trips without the Visa as well!). With our light weight and short wb tow vehicles, I believe the WD hitch you choose is important - I believe after reading lots of forum posts that the Equalizer or the Reese Dual-Cam are good choices, and I read that the E2 has also worked out well for a couple of Pilot owners. Other than that, as long as you can become comfortable with the 2nd gear/>4000rpm you will need on some climbs (as all of us in the 3.5 liter tow vehicle club hopefully are), you're good.
NOTE - another reason not to fully compensate TV rear end sag with your WDH - I quote (sorry I've lost the authors name or forum this came from): "In order to not affect the Honda’s computer controlled decision making about transferring power to the back wheels, it is best to not crank up the WD hitch to bring the truck back to its height without trailer on. Let the trailer lower the rear hitch say ½” over no trailer on it at all, so the Honda power-transfer circuit works right."
sam75 is offline   Reply With Quote