View Single Post
Old 10-23-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
Big Shasta

Default Guardian/Generac Generator removal 06 Gulf stream Crescendo

Starting a new topic for this removal so it isn't lost on the old topic with my generac issues. http://www.gsowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6310

To add to my "wont crank fast enough to start when hot" starter issue, my 7500W generator sounded like it threw the belt(s) off right before it died while I was relying on it to shelter my family in the aftermath of hurricane Micheal when our home had no power/water (luckily we just had some trees/fence down and no house damage). As you can imagine, it only increased my Guardian generator hate. But I'm stuck with it for now. Thankfully I was able to wire up my portable 6500 watt house generator to run the entire RV using the 220V/30Amp plug on the generator and taking the receptacle off my 50 amp extension cord. It just ate a lot of gas. Even with both ACs running the generator never showed more than 70% load.

With the inability to find more than one person willing to R/R this generator so it can be repaired and this one shop being so backed up I have no definitive date for the work getting done; I've decided to remove the generator myself. I can then either take it to one of the numerous shops that will repair it under warranty if it's out, or do it all myself. I'll probably get the generator repair place to do the warranty part on the generator/belts so the insurance covers those parts/labor. Also, the fact that everyone says my coach warranty won't cover the ~1000.00 worth of R/R labor it only helps make my decision.

Has anyone removed one, I couldn't find a thread? If I do it, I'll make a detailed thread. My plan is to get it unhooked, lowered and resting on an ATV lift (90.00 harbor freight 1500lb limit, generator weighs 486lbs dry) then use the RVs leveling jacks system to raise the front of the coach (with cribbing under the wheels for safety as it goes up.) until I can slide the generator out. It's only 22" high so I don't think it'll take too much. Then lower the coach while the generator gets repaired and reverse the process. It is sitting on a 6" thick reinforced concrete pad with lots of room to work. Thoughts on this plan?

Also, The generator currently has about 1400 hours on it (previous owner dry camped a lot only ~22K miles on the coach)

Along with the main fix of starter and belts, what would be recommended as preventative while it was out?

I have a generac repair manual and the full parts breakdown. Looks like consumable options are:
Oil/Filter
Air Filters
Fuel Filter
Antifreeze replacement
belts replacement (fan belt and drive belt)
Both Belt Tensioners
coolant hoses replacement
Glow Plugs
2 Slip Ring Brushes
Water Pump even?

No idea how many years I'll have this coach but I'd like to lessen my chances of having to do this again.

Thanks in advance.