View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #6
elmerfud

Default Weight Issue

Well Flower,

Where do I start! I own a 2012 VISA Cruiser 19 RGU. they chganged the name for obvious reasons in 2013. I have had 3 axles fail on the trailer. The first 2 failed within the first 6 months of ownership. The original and the replacement Lippert axle replaced under warranty. I then took matters into my own hands and had a Dexter 6,000 lb axle, 15" wheels and Goodyear Marathon tires installed. That package is limited only by the tires and is rated for 5500 lbs. It just failed and as a result has bent the frame and trashed a wheel well. My GVWR when delivered was 3,850 lbs. The Lippert axle label stated it was rated at 3,500 lbs. How can this be??? I emailed Gulfstream and they pointed out that it was OK since 350 lbs were in tongue weight. My current GVWR is 4,700 lbs with a 650 lb tongue weight. I boondock all the time and have an extra water tank and a generator built in. I agree with atreis. Load it up wet , with all your stuff. Take it to the CAT scale and weigh it twice. First weigh all 3 axles. The weight of trailer axle is not the total weight of the trailer! Then disconnect the trailer and weigh just the tow vehicle. Subtract the tow vehicle weight in the second weighing from the tow vehicle weight in the first weighing and you will have the tongue weight. Then add the tongue weight to the axle weight and viola, you have your actual GVWR. By the way, I bet you your tongue weight with water is over the 350 lbs as claimed. Regarding my repair; I engaged a fabricator to repair my bent frame. He pointed out that the frame on mine is made of only 18 gauge steel and not reinforced at all where the torsion axle mounts to the frame. Both NO-NO's! I had my trailer lifted at delivery. Therefore we are going to remove the lift kit and sister a new frame under the soda can frame with 1/8" steel. Also I am putting on a real rear bumper, you can attach things to.

All in all I like the design of the camper. Just, not the execution.
elmerfud is offline   Reply With Quote