View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #5
Capt_Bill_USMC

Update: I bought a Schumacher Battery Charger/Engine Starter. It still won't start, but it is trying now, where as before not even an attempt. So, I am going to conclude that the batts were completely discharged and need to charge for a while. I think this is normal that the engine starter won' start it, as I would really need 2 of them to get the right cranking amps and voltage.

Also going to conclude that I don't have 4 golf cart style batts. One, I cannot find them. I pulled the gen out and looked as far as I could go under there and nothing. Two, and this is where it gets tricky. There are 4 batts in the aft starboard basement. They are on a slideout tray so easy to access, but nothing is labeled. Logically, one would think that you could tell which batt was a deep cyle and which batt is a starting batt by definition. However, these batts are new, but it appears they didn't take care to ensure they connected them for the right purpose. For example, I have 3 starting lead acid batts and one deep cycle AGM. The 3 starting are Carquest 31S30 Commercial and Farm batts. The AGM Deep Cycle is a Carquest NG31 Platinum battery, which is an AGM deepcycle. Since I cannot tell how they are connected, I have to conclude that they are wired the way I said because when I connected the charger/engine starter to 2 of the 31S30 batts, the generator almost started, again, couldn't get it to do anything yesterday. And, other things started happening like I was able to turn on lights inside the coach. Then, when I switched over the charger/starter to the other 2 batts, the coach almost cranked over and the gen wouldn't do anything again. So, that's a bit of a mess. Not going to swap anything out now, as this setup has worked for me in Apr and May and worked fine for the previous owner for almost a year.

So, I am charging the batts now on the 30A setting and I'll see where that gets me and report back.

Thanks for the help!
Capt_Bill_USMC is offline   Reply With Quote