View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #17
GregGarner

Default Re: spare tire carrier

I have been running around for a couple of months now with the spare tire mounted behind the axle on my International Gulfstream Gladiator. So far I haven't needed it, but I like having it in case of a flat.

Details:

I took some 1.5" square tubing about 4' long and welded a flat plate to it. I mounted 4 casters to the flat plate. The casters let me slide the tire in and out (assuming I am on a flat surface). I also welded some locating pins on the tubing that make sure the rim is held in place while moving it around and raising and lowering it. I also mounted a large eyehook to the middle of the 4' piece of tubing.

I then welded 2 1.5" square tubes to the frame of the international chassis, and welded some 1/2" all thread to the bottom of these.

I then mounted a small waterproof ATV winch above the spare tire location, and I used the winch to raise and lower the tire. The winch wouldn't hold the tire tight to the frame, but it would raise it enough to engage the all thread rod which can then be tightened up to hold the tire securely to the frame. The winch is connected to the eyehook via a winch hook. I did have to weld the eyehook closed because the winch deformed the eyehook the first time I tried to raise it.

I haven't gotten around to wiring in the winch yet, I was just using jumper cables to run it for now.

I got the winch from Ebay for about $90, and I got them to give me a remote switch instead of a handlebar mounted type switch when I ordered the winch. I think the name of the winch was viper.

Greg Garner