Thread: Tire age?
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
Restorium,

Your 10 year old tires should have been unconditionally replaced per the Michelin rule noted above -- but in a heavy vehicle like a motor home, earlier is better. Glad there was no major damage from the blowout or any injuries.

The only way for the steel to rust is to have air and some moisture preset -- which would mean the sidewalls were cracked or otherwise compromised. When inspecting tires look closely at the side wall condition, even on the side facing toward the center line of the vehicle. Look for the distributed fine line cracks of aging as well as any individual 'bruise' spots from hitting a curb or island...

Chuck
Hi Chuck,
Yup, should have replaced them. But the price was too high when looking at the tires that looked perfect. Had a blow out on one of the inside tires on the rear. I didn't even notice it, my wife following behind did. So we went to the closest tire place that was qualified to do the job. The older guy that was there said even though the tires looked perfect they still rust inside just from having them sitting on the ground in the winter. He said that things can be wrong with an old tire that can't be seen in any inspection. Cost me $1600 because he said you need to replace the rear tires as a set. Made it to Niagara Falls with no other problems other than terrible roads and semi's!
Well, one other snag when the red hats at the park in Niagara didn't like the direction we parked her. Went along with what they wanted and faced her away from the view of the lake.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote