Thread: Hydraulic leak
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
03heritagerider

Default Re: Hydraulic leak

Update on the leaking hose...

Conditions being what they are, I was unable to get under the coach until this morning to attempt to remove the hose (see earlier posts). I was, however; able to spray the fittings with PB Blaster last week.

This morning, I grabbed my work light, a handful of wrenches, a pry bar and a bucket.

Surprisingly, the first fitting (toward the rear of the coach) came off with just a little muscle. I put a 5 gallon bucket beneath it to catch what came out. Another surprise, it was probably less than a quart.

I then moved to the other end of the hose (the side that was leaking). This one was on a bit tighter, but a few taps with a hammer and it was loose. Another surprise...nothing came out.

I examined the other hose that ran along side, and it looked pretty corroded as well, but I decided to leave it in place for the moment, at least until I tried to get a replacement for the one I had removed.

I called a couple of parts stores, and the only one locally that said they may be able to help was NAPA. I took the hose in and they said they did not have the fittings and could not help me. They suggested a truck dealer or Parker-Store/Ritter Engineering, which was closer to home than the NAPA.

He looked at the hose and said "no problem". He had the straight end fitting, but he did not have the fitting with the 90° elbow. He said he would order it and have it by Tuesday. I told him to order another one and I would bring the other hose in and have it replaced as well. He said to just bring in the other one when I come back and I can wait for him to make it for me in about 10 minutes.

I now only have one question. I am assuming that from the previous posts, these lines are from/to the transmission. Should I have expected more fluid to drain when the hose was removed? Keep in mind the other hose is still on and a cold check of the tranny dip stick shows full (I did not want to run the engine until the leak was fixed).