View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #2
Chuck v

Bill,

If your generator is run on diesel fuel as mine was, it does require a "pre-heat" cycle to operate the glow plugs prior to the generator cranking. Actually, your diesel main engine for the coach has glow plugs as well and particularly in cold weather also needs a pre-heat cycle. There was a dash light indicator on my 2007 Tourmaster that would time out to show it was ready to crank the engine after first turning the ignition to on. Above about 70 degrees ambient, most diesel engines will start without the glow plug cycle...but the generator controls on my coach never allowed the cycle to be skipped even in warm weather.

Yes the generator must run a bit before the transfer switch allows electrical loads to be added to the generator -- this would include the roof air conditioners and all AC appliances/loads in the coach. If you were connected to shore power, this transfer would cause the AC loads to be switched FROM the shore power TO the generator. Since you are not on shore power, the AC available from the generator does go through this short delay to allow the generator to stabilize its running after startup.

Is your refrigerator an RV style (gas absorption cycle with either propane or electric power...either 12 volts DC or 110 volts AC) or a residential style full size one that ONLY runs on AC power? If your coach has a residential refrigerator and does not run on Propane when electrical power is not available, then you will be pretty much tethered to shore power for a live-aboard lifestyle. I did have a large Inverter in my coach powered by a separate set of 4 each 6 volt golf cart batteries that could run the fridge for several hours without either generator or shore power, and that was adequate for driving between sites. If you don't open the fridge unnecessarily (particularly the freezer door if it has two separate doors...) it will stay cold overnight without power, but not much longer.

I will observe that letting the batteries on your coach go 'flat' will have shortened their life - even if they have accepted a full recharge. It sounds like the chassis batteries are being charged by the engine alternator now as you are running it often, and while the generator runs the converter it should be charging the house batteries. If your interior lighting is like that on my coach, it is entirely run at 12 volts DC. Your ceiling lights should work even when the shore power is not connected and the generator is not running if the house batteries are not discharged. When you start the generator and you already have a ceiling light on, you may notice it brighten when the generator transfer switch comes on-line, as that is when the converter begins charging the house batteries and taking on the load of the house lighting.

In summary, the power distribution in a typical diesel pusher coach with generator, inverter, and converter is as follows:
Shore power AC --> main transfer switch (where generator power comes in if shore power is not present) --> inverter transfer switch (where DESIGNATED loads such as the residential refrigerator would be powered by the inverter if other upstream power sources are absent...) --> to AC loads in the motor home. Note that the Converter (which is powered by 110 volts AC and makes 12 volts DC to power the lighting and charge the house batteries...) Your couch may not have an INVERTER, but it surely has a CONVERTER as that function is needed in the smallest travel trailer through the grandest coach.

Hope this helps a bit, but feel free to ask additional questions.

Your observed loss of microwave function and refrigerator function could possibly be a sub-panel breaker issue. In my coach the Inverter powered the residential refrigerator, the microwave, the TV and a few other designated loads, and it had a separate breaker panel for that reason.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote