View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #15
ToddPet

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one with the air suspension dropping issue. Though I’m sorry you have to go through it as well.

When the issue became known to me I brought the RV to Freightliner and they installed a height adjustment valve for the front air suspension. They then adjusted it so that more air would be in the front end. They also suggested that when I prepare to leave that I wait a while so that there is sufficient time for air to fill the airbags. I usually wait to leave after my airbrake compressors start unloading it’s air. To be honest I’m not sure that that is the issue. Because usually by the time the air has fully charged up my airbrakes the ride height has clearance between the tire and the fender.

I recently came back from a trip, and despite the work being done, the issue seem to persist. This happened a couple of times when I was on uneven ground making slow turns. I became quite concerned when I stopped to fill up for diesel and I noticed that my passenger side wheel was a couple of inches The fender line. As well a flat metal bar from inside the wheel well was bent right up against the top side of the tire. Thankfully there was some mechanics working nearby and they bent the bar back enough so my tire wouldn’t rub against it and I was able to drive towards there shop. When they took a look at the RV on their level ground it looked fine. They increased my ride height by 1 inch using the adjustment valves that were installed a couple weeks earlier. I did not have an issue throughout the rest of the trip.

Another mechanic suggested to me that I should check that the wheels that were replaced a year earlier to make sure they were the right size. He said that he has seen in some cases that the wrong wheels were installed and height clearance became an issue. So I checked the wheels and they were the recommended wheel size. He then suggested if the issue still remains that I could install a smaller wheel and gain an inch of height clearance. He felt that a 1 inch smaller wheel wouldn’t result in any driving control issues.

Another suggestion he made was when preparing to leave make sure that your brakes are fully charged up, then release the parking brake, press down on the foot break, and wait a while. He said additional air will then fill the air suspension. At that point Wen can pull forward.

However, the issues I experience are generally not upon start up but after I’ve arrived at my destination and I am on uneven ground. Which of course usually you experience when you get to a park. I just don’t think one should have to worry about wheels rubbing up against fenders whenever you try to position yourself at a park.

I would sure like to hear if anybody else is experiencing this issue and has found a solution. Or whether this is just a normal thing to be expected with this coach.
ToddPet is offline   Reply With Quote