Thread: New Flooring
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
03heritagerider

Default Re: New Flooring

I plan on replacing my carpeting this summer. We own rental property and I have been using a product that is fairly indestructable under tenant use (many are careless or abusive to carpeting).

I've been using Alure flooring from Home Depot (I have no vested interest in Alure or Home Depot)

The product is available in several styles and wood grain colors. It is made of vinyl and is similar in feel and weight to auto mud flaps. The color goes all the way through so scratches are almost unnoticable. Since it is vinyl, it is impervious to moisture or rot and it is flexible to hide many imperfections under it. it is also a floating floor and easily installed. I can do an 12x14 room in a couple of hours. It's also very easy to clean with a damp mop or broom.

There are two different versions. I prefer the "Classic" Alure rather than their "Ultra" version. It comes in 36"x6" planks (24 sq. ft. per box) and is about $50.00 box. Each plank has a contact cement strip that adheres to the next strip. Once you get the first row down, it's just a matter of sticking the next row down to the previous one. Cutting around corners is the most time consuming, but it can all be done with a utility knife. the only tools I need to install are a knife, straight edge, tape measure and pencil.

The reason I prefer the original to the Ultra version is that the classic uses about a half inch glue strip to connect the planks. The Ultra uses a tongue and groove glue strip that (for me) was difficult to maneuver.

After installing in many of our rentals in bathrooms, kitchens and even living rooms and bed rooms, I think it would be a great upgrade in our coach. It is also just slightly thinner than most carpeting/padding combinations, so I doubt there would be any issue there. In fact, in many of our installations, I've had to lower the quarter round trim to meet the flooring.