View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 11:14 PM   #2
SlimTim

Default Re: SN 6331 cranks but doesn't start sometimes

Hey bhplumber,

I had a crank but no start issue with my 6400 and the issue ended up being a bad relay. The engine would start sometimes and run for a bit but ultimately it would not start at all. If I recall the relay was for the injector control module or the ecm. I purchased a new relay from International and then later found out you can get them from your local auto parts store.

If you open the hood and look on the drivers side up high by the firewall you will see a black plastic box with a bunch of wires going into it. Take the lid off of the box and you will be looking at a bunch of relays. The relays pull straight out and if I recall you can see what each relay does by flipping over the lid and looking at the included drawing. If you don't have the drawing just pull each relay out and visually inspect it. The relay I replaced had obviously gotten hot and melted the plastic. This must have happened before on my SN because when I was looking for something else I found 3 or 4 spare relays the prior owner had purchased.

This may not be what's wrong with yours but its easy to check.
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote