View Single Post
Old 10-04-2021, 07:43 PM   #126
Cyclechris

Hey Folks, First time commenting on this forum. I purchased a SN 6400 about a year ago, and have many of the same complaints about its ride. I can't justify the $6-10K to put the ACE or Kelderman system in. Anyways, after observing much of what has been said here in my own coach, the main issue I believe is a lack of suspension, so I did two things which I am certain is not as good as ACE or Kelderman, but helped a fair bit and for a fraction of the cost. 1st, I added shocks to rear, I think on this forum someone else mentioned they did the same and all the part numbers needed to do that(I think I spent less than $300 total for shocks and the mounts). 2nd I added a basic 5000lbs Air Ride system. In retrospect, I wish I could have found one of their 7500lbs systems that would have fit, but ultimately I found the 5k system for 2008 Dodge 4500 could be modified to fit between the axle and the frame. The air ride was $375 and took about 4 hours to modify and install on the SN 6400. As previously mentioned it does add to the spring rate, but honestly it needs it as the truck was at its max before, especially with 150 gallons of water on board. I had hoped for more lift (2-3inches) but only achieved 3/4 to 1 inch additional height by installing this system but I was able to unload the factory joust bumpers which allowed both the rear shocks and those joust bumpers to actually provide some dampening. For those who don't have it in them to drop a lot into the suspension of a 10-12 year old RV, it still isn't what I would call a great ride but also isn't shaking the Fridge or TV out of the wall either. I don't want to spend too much more money on the ride, but I am considering timbren joust bumpers to provide a more progressive dampening than the 12 year factory ones. Food for thought.

btw did all this without taking tires off and at the RV storage lot so was not complicated!
Cyclechris is offline   Reply With Quote