View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #10
Chuck v

Sudsy,

Even at a full hookup it is good practice to keep the black tank valve closed and dump it periodically when you reach half full or more.

I lived aboard my TourMaster for 5+ years and followed a routine like this:
-- keep the grey tank valve open during the week (my shower drained to the grey tank...)
-- on weekends, I closed the grey valve and did my 4 to 5 loads of laundry. This established a 3/4 full or more grey tank to 'wash out' the sewer hose after draining the black tank.
-- Drain the black tank, followed by draining the grey tank. The TourMaster also had build in tank spray wash which I used when both valves were open.
-- Leave the gray valve open and close the black valve...ready for the next week cycle.

By not leaving the black tank valve open all the time you do not risk the build up of solids in that tank when the liquids all drain out. More liquid in the black tank is a good thing by and large...hence the trend to have the bath lav drain into the black tank.

In deep winter, I kept both valves on the tank closed and watched closely when the grey needed an extra drain cycle, as a trickle or occasional flow of water in the outside sewer hose due to gray usage will freeze solid and eventually block everything. You definitely do not want that!

I also used an electrically heated fresh water hose from the RV park hookup during those months.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote