View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 02:02 AM   #10
mbirnbaum

Some people have elaborate RV 12 volt power systems. It is amazing to see
pictures of their solar integration, monitoring, 3000 watt pure sine inverter, all neatly tied together with "aught" wire.

I understand your perceived requirements are pretty minimal.

Finding the right brand, type and size of battery is somewhat of a crap shoot.

For example:
-Interstate buys batteries from Exide and Johnson Controls.
-Mopar buys batteries from Exide and others.
-Some DieHard batteries are from Johnson Controls, which also manufactures Duralast, Varta, AC Delco, as well as 20 other brands.

Have you ever wondered why they sell water heaters that have 6 year, 9 year and 12 year warranty, and they all look identical. Ironically, they often fail at the end of 6, 9, or 12 years respectively. Let's just say each model was made with very exacting quality specifications.

Batteries are a lot like water heaters. Some are engineered to (on average) last a lot longer.

I know people with Mopar batteries that lasted 8, 9, up to 13 years.
My motorhome has an 8 year Dura-Start engine battery, and still tests perfect.

For vehicles, they actually have "north" and "south" batteries. What you buy at Sears in Minnesota is a different flavor than Sears in Texas. One is better suited for not failing under extreme heat and the other for delivering the juice under extreme cold.

Gel and AGM batteries can be an improvement if you need better deep cycle, but they can be really pricey options.

Not knowing the heat or cold your battery will be exposed to for long periods of sitting, my advice is simple.
1) Don't overspend, but don't go cheap (pretty much says flooded not AGM or GEL)
2) Don't let your battery freeze (and depending on type, ensure water is always topped off).
3) For TT, research the charger you'll be using. It will really help the battery last. If flooded cell it will typically be a different charger from AGM or Gel. Multi-stage is preferred, but you don't need a monster charger.

For motorhomes, the 'gold' standard in batteries are pairs of 6 volt Trojan batteries in series. They last 7 to 15 years, but give you enough power overnight to keep your CPAP machines whistling, the furnace blowing, the water pump pumping and lights available for use. Those that are off-grid for longer periods are spending the extra for Trojan AGM and Gel (and other brands), and adding solar.

i have never heard from anybody with a Trojan 12 volt.

There is no simple answer, but for your described need maybe a moderate priced deep cycle flooded battery. Don't go bargain basement or too small. Batteries lose "oomph" so a small battery could become a useless battery more quickly.

Good luck.