View Single Post
Old 10-28-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
km7648

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesham View Post
On my Gulfstream, the blue brake wire was missing when I added the 7 pin connector to the existing 4 pin. I decided to use a #12 grounded orange extension cord and cut off the ends to run 3 wires front to back. I used one wire for the blue brake wire, and another for the 12 volt feed to the trailer or extra lights for the Toad. Used the third wire for a heavy ground which is really extra since the 4 pin connector already had a lighter-duty white ground wire.

Purchased the appropriate chassis to controller wiring adapter for under the dash, but never did find a mating connector. I concluded Gulfstream deleted that connector or used it for something else, so I cut and spliced as necessary.

My new 2019 Ram truck came with factory tow package, and the 7 pin connector is a flat blade connector rather than the round 7 holes. Another adapter purchase was required to be able to tow trailer with flat blade or round hole connector. Is this common? I thought the RV world used flat blade and semi trucks used round pin?
The round plug has become the standard on RVs as the extra "charge" and "brakes" wires are included. With an RV wired this way, it's very easy to use an adapter to step down to the 4 plug setup. Impossible to go the other way.
km7648 is offline   Reply With Quote