View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 05:56 AM   #19
Big Shasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
The engine battery starts the generator. Your engine battery died while driving. This usually points to the alternator as the problem. Could be as simple as bad connections on the engine battery, or a bad engine battery.
Not in my coach...my generator starts off the house batteries. When the shop that worked on my coach pulled the converter breaker and forgot to reset it my house batteries went dead. I didn't realize what they had done and in my troubleshooting I was chasing why it wouldnt charge from shore power so I tried to start the generator. It was dead dead too. So I started the main diesel engine and it fired right off. Found the converter breaker was flipped and all worked again after charging....interesting note, the house/main battery switch on the dash won't help you start the generator in this situation like it will the main engine with a dead chassis battery.

If he had excessive drain on the house batteries while in route then it's possible the alt. isn't keeping up with charging it. BUT, if the steps staying out was drawing that much current then it would likely blow the fuse. And I'm sure the alt is capable of putting out 150+ amps so that shouldnt matter too much.

You should be able to see ~14v on the house batteries when the engine is running...that would indicate they are being charged. If not, work your way upstream in the electrical schematics and find why there is no charging voltage to the house batteries.
Big Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote