View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 12:15 AM   #2
Chuck v

Default Re: 2007Crescendo newbie questions

I can answer some of the questions and will keep the same numbers so as not to repeat the question.

1. I use the thick rubber pad sold at RV suppliers called the "Hosspad" because it works well on concrete and other pavements. I don't park my 32,400 pound coach on gravel or grass very often, and never on soft soil...

3. It is not recommended to use the generator under way as the exhaust gases can be drawn into the occupied areas of the coach. My inverter can run the residential refrigerator for several hours, but I don't use the roof air conditioners while driving. The dash air keeps the driver and copilot cool (at least here in the Pacific Northwest...) and the roof units cool the rest down quickly enough when we stop at a campsite.

4. My main slide is hydraulic and has a manual pump over-ride (never have used it..) The other slides are electric and I believe they have some sort of manual crank, but again have never needed to use those. The best plan is to have your batteries and generator in good shape...

5. The disconnect switches turn off all loads connected to the chassis batteries and the house batteries via large relays in a rear bay of the coach. You don't disconnect when on shore power, but you might do this if parked for some time in storage. Be sure your float chargers/battery minders are wired so they still charge the batteries (the normal battery charger for the house batteries -- the converter -- may not be wired in this way and would be switched off with the disconnect.) I added a battery minder to my chassis batteries since they originally only charged via the engine driven alternator...

6. The need for a weight distribution hitch is determined by the 'carry' weight of your hitch (often called the ball weight) and most hitches have a rating of about 10% of the draw weight rating. If you are towing a car "four down" you have no concern, but a utility trailer will likely need a weight distribution hitch arrangement.

8. Most coach roofs are "walk-able" but if you are north of 250 lbs or so you might want to consider hiring a more willowy worker...

9. I use the exhaust brake on the highway -- many incorporated areas have rules against the use of exhaust brakes in town.

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote