View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
CaryL

Greetings and welcome to the forum.

I too have recently purchased a BT Cruiser 5245. Actually when inspecting the BTC when picking it up, the foot section of the mattress was badly ripped probably from the slide out being demonstrated while on the lot. We are still waiting for the replacement mattress to arrive from Gulf Stream.

So far I have:
Sanded all the rough edges of the plywood underneath to prevent the mattress catching.
Countersunk the underneath screw heads to prevent rips.
Installed a wedge shaped molding piece under the cell phone cutout (to allow the top mattress to slide upward over the trim easier)
Added 1 1/2 inch memory foam over the mattress.

The above seems to have helped the operation a good bit.
The memory foam mattress pad made it much more comfortable and helped keep the bedding together as it slides in and out.

Still working through the issues though. For example we are using a fitted sheet but of course the top edge of it can't be tucked in because of the mattress attachment.

Changing to a different mattress could take a fair amount of engineering as a single piece mattress would almost need to double over. It might be possible to have a hinged mattress where the bottom of the mattress would fold upward and slide up the wall.

I suspect there are many more tricks to be learned.
I too would appreciate any pointers as well.

best wishes,
Cary Lawson
BT Cruiser 5245
Ohio
CaryL is offline   Reply With Quote