View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
GregGarner

Default Re: Spare tire

I went out and bought a spare rim and mounted a spare tire on it. I measured behind the axle and in front of the hitch on my Endura Gladiator 6316, and I think there is enough room to mount the spare tire in this spot. I am thinking about buying a waterproof electric Viper ATV winch and mounting it on the frame and using this to winch the tire up into place. Then I plan on putting a 1.5" square tubing underneath the tire to bolt it into place (for safety). I would either weld or bolt two 1.5" square tubes onto the frame to bolt the cross bar to.

Does anyone see any problem with this plan?

I also plan on carrying a small air compressor, a 1" impact wrench, and a 20 ton air over hydraulic jack to allow me to jack everything up and to change the tire myself. I probably also need some kind of jack stand for safety, any suggestions on that? I have toyed with making a waterproof carrying case for all this stuff and putting it up over the driveline where there is some extra space.

But even if I didn't have the tools I still want a spare tire so that it doesn't cost and arm and a let if I get a flat.

I have also ordered a pressure pro tire pressure monitoring system, and that should help me avoid problems. Duane at Pressure Pro is very knowledgeable. I read a lot of good things about the pressure pro system from other RV owners which is what decided me to go this route.