View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 06:00 AM   #18
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Bill_USMC View Post
Chuck,

Nothing regarding power consumption. It’s awoefully inadequate manual which I’m finding is the case for all RV related manuals.

Here is what ot says: 10.1 cu ft, 115v 60Hz, not designed to be used with an inverted. I didn’t know I had the inverter on this entire time.

Now to find the breaker box.

Inverter panel next to stove: I switched it off. No LED lights available. For grins I switched it to low charge for a few seconds and observed the green led light and the red charge rate light. When I switched to on it just showed a red AC input light on.

Thanks again to everyone who replied. I’m learning quite a bit. When I bought this it was not on a whim. I spent 2 days with the owner using a 28 page checklist. I’m a Realtor so I did a home inspection and I was a Harrier and Hornet guy in the USMC so I was methodical and anal about things. However after a while thing got overwhelming and I was more interested in making sure all systems worked, didn’t get the chance to understand all systems. The difference was he had an RV hookup at his house as well as a dedicated water hookup. So everything was charged and was going to operate if it was a working component to begin with. I don’t have my stuff plugged in and I’m working toward that after I understand the electrical. The issue is when I plugged in the RV after I bought it not only did it trip my breaker in the house the GFCI started smoking. I suspect that’s because it was a 15 a GFCI and I was pulling 30 if not 50 a. Once I understand how the electrical works on the coach I can begin to lighten the load it’s pulling then slowly add back as necessary. I’m getting there, so thank you!
When you plugged the coach in to shore power it shouldn't have been drawing more than 15 amps unless you had some major things running like the AC, microwave, or electric heater.
So that brings us to the question of why the breaker blew and smoked.
Two things I can think of are;
1.Somehow your plug wiring doesn't match the output of your home wiring.
Maybe you have it set up different than the previous owner? Wires crossed? Bad plug? Bad cord?
2. Something went bad between the time the previous owner had it connected to shore power and when you plugged it in.
Most things have breakers that would blow to protect you against fire.
So now we are back to the cord on the shore power or some other wiring.
I'm betting on the cord now. It's the usual suspect. And if that cord is shorting then everything is going haywire.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote