View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 10:38 AM   #9
RJ82much

Dave & Hyall,

I tried again, w/o luck, to get information about the heater wiring. Bob (By8s) is certainly correct about Suburban factory assistance.

That said, it is very likely that the problem is coach wiring for both Dave & Hyall.

Last night I looked at my Suburban (SW10DE) heater. There wasn't any information labels that helped.

I removed the cover from the switch-with-red-light box at kitchen sink cabinet & determined that a standard household NM cable comes into box, apparently direct from "Water Heater" 15amp circuit breaker in distribution box under bed. The hot lead goes to switch. The white neutral is wired to other side of lamp. Switched hot lead goes to lamp and out of box (along with white neutral) via the 2nd NM cable to heater switch/thermostat and element.

In my coach, the red light indicates ONLY that the switch is on, and there is power to the switch. If the light glows anytime when the switch is on, then the bulb is OK.

Are you certain that everything else in the coach works when plugged in to shore power? All A/Cs, microwave, TV's? If not, then Hyall might have a transfer switch problem.

Dave, if your light is intermittant, then the problem is in the wall switch box or the circuit breaker & connection (under bed?). It won't be the switch/thermostat at the water heater itself. If the light stays on, but you're not heating water, & the heater element is OK, then yes, the tank switch/thermostat could be defective.

Whew, sorry I couldn't say that in 10 words or less.

<also note, I had to edit since 1st version wiring was incorrect>

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote