View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
03heritagerider

Default Re: Jack Knife Couch Removal

We don't have a jack-knife, we have a pull out sofa/queen bed. However, here is what I can tell you from looking underneath the sofa bed and working on our recliner behind the passenger's seat. Also, not knowing your floor plan, this is just general info and not specific to your rig.

Our sofa is on the drivers side and on a slide-out. The underside of the slide-out has a floor that covers access to where the sofa is bolted to the floor. If you know how to get in there to attach nuts to the bolts that go through the recliner mounts, then you're better than me.

If your sofa is not on a slide, then it may be bolted through the floor and visible from underneath. In our rig, if it wasn't on the slide-out it would be above the basement compartments and I'm not sure if the bolts would be visible from underneath.

If any of the bolts for the sofa go through to the underside of the rig that is exposed to the outside, then the ends with the nuts are probably buried under the undercoating. You'll then have to dig the nuts out from under the undercoating.

The carpeting under our sofa bed is like new. Depending on the pile of the carpet and the placement of your recliners, you may not be able to see the holes in the carpet.

When installing the recliners, if your anchors don't come through the floor to a reachable position, I suppose you can use a jack nut or toggle bolt. I'm just not sure they would be strong enough to hold after repeated use. Also, without being bolted through the floor, I would be reluctant to use these seats when traveling, as the seat belts are bolted to the pedestal base. If the anchors extend through to the outside, be sure to clear away the undercoating around the holes to get a tight fit. Then you can spray some undercoating afterward.

When we ordered our rig, we requested a recliner in place of the swivel chair and ottoman. After a couple of years, the recliner began to rock on it's pedestal. We assume the chair was removed and the recliner installed after the undercoating. The nuts on the recliner anchor bolts were about an inch away from the floor with the undercoating sandwiched in-between. Repeated use caused the bolts and nuts to wear away the undercoating around them and the bolts were no longer tight enough to hold the recliner in place. I had to get under the wheel well and chip away the undercoating to get the nuts and washers to seat against the underside of the floor.

I hope this helps.