View Single Post
Old 11-04-2006, 08:59 PM   #7
gsadmin

so far Alfa and Winnebago are the true pioneers. I do not need to have electronic versions of the docs, I just want it in my coach to make my life easier if/when I have a breakdown of some sort (like electrical issues...but those never happen do they <wink wink> ). Also, whenever I want to mod my coach it would be great to have them on hand.

My point is, why should I have to have an issue/problem to receive them? I mean, do I have to wait until I have a breakdown in every system of my coach so they can ration them out to me piece by piece until I get the full set? That seems ridiculous.

The overarching point here is that if you have them at your disposal, in electronic or print form, what logical reason is there not to make them available to your owner base if they so desire them?

Now that the reason that GS may not have the drawings has been disproved (at least for one coach year/model) here are the remaining reasons and the logic (or lack thereof) behind them:

1. Trade Secrets - yes, the secret sauce of 12V wiring in an RV. If this were truly the issue, then they would not give them out to anyone, anytime. And, copyright restrictions and NDAs can protect them legally anyway.

2. Liability - If this were the case, they could not give anyone ANY documentation. Additionally, most documentation clearly has a limitation of liability clause in the foreward.

3. Protecting the Dealer Network - This is probably one major reason for not doing it. They want to protect both their aftermarket parts and dealer service business. This seems strange to me though since I have heard from more than one RV dealer complaining about working as a Gulf Stream service center and doing warranty work, etc. as well as them having just as much problems getting coach docs from Gulf Stream.

4. Not truly understanding customer service - This is really what it comes down to I think. A combination of this and old school customer service practices that were a product of big company arrogance. Right now, it must be known to Gulf Stream that there is a public relations/customer issue with this...the smartest thing they could do is turn it around and be a huge hero...geez, they would probably even garner an editorial or two in some of the big time RV rags for how revolutionary they are in the industry by taking this step (even though they were not the first).

As I have said many times, I really love my RV, I just want to have the piece of mind to know all there is to know so I can be self reliant. I have already been bitten twice where I had to inspect each and every fuse to find the blown one...that alone is unacceptable.

We are now at signature 179...just 21 to go before this is complete and I send it all to the Gulf Stream brass. At that point I feel I have done all I can do and if it is not clear to them by then, I doubt it will ever be.

Peace out...
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote