View Single Post
Old 08-16-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

djqualls,

Welcome to GSOwners forum.

The Tour Master is a beautiful coach. I take it that you have the Mercedes engine. I put over 22,000 miles on our previous DP coach without having to replace the air filter and have over 8,000 on our present GS DP without having to replace the air filter. The air intake is at the rear top center of the rear cap. Your location that is on the Tour Master is used by most manufacturers of diesel pushers without a problem.

What indication did you go by that the filter was clogged? In 5,000 miles there is no way that it should have been unless you were off-roading on complete dirt roads OR the filter got water soaked which with the water drains in the intake that GS installs it should not have.

If you went by the air filter Gage, did you look at it when the coach was new and see where it read? Mine reads high from the start and leaves little room for indication when dirty up to the red line.

Do you have a stone guard/mud-flap on the back of the coach? If it sits too low when traveling it can kick up a lot of dirt/dust. Also, If your exhaust is pointed straight down that will kick up a lot of dust. Due to the vacuum effect/turbulence at the rear of the coach it sucks a lot of dirt up the back. I turned my exhaust tip at a 45 degree angle toward the outside so that it did not point straight down, this greatly helped kicking up dust with the exhaust. I did this with both coaches.

I haven't checked at the Feightliner dealer for the price of an air filter lately, but it seems to me that it was not near that $120.00 figure. Did you check with a Feightliner dealer for the cost before going to NAPA?

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote