Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #1
knoxchief

Default wet floor in the very back of sunvoyager

I have wet carpet and flooring in the bedroom of my 2008 Sunvoyager. I cannot tell where the water is coming from but it has caused a serious mold problem in the very back (under the rear window). I re-caulked around the window but I have never seen any water dripping from the roof or on the wall under the window.

Today we removed part of the carpet and pad and the wood floor is soaking wet. Does anyone know if there is a water line of some sort that might run in the back of the unit? I can't find any plumbing schematic which shows one but the water has to be coming from somewhere.

Appreciate any advice.
knoxchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:32 PM   #2
Sudsy

Some Sun Voyagers had washer/dryers in rear corner, left side. How about looking around the area where the back cap fits to roof? Look up under the back and see if there are any clues there.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:01 AM   #3
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxchief View Post
I have wet carpet and flooring in the bedroom of my 2008 Sunvoyager. I cannot tell where the water is coming from but it has caused a serious mold problem in the very back (under the rear window). I re-caulked around the window but I have never seen any water dripping from the roof or on the wall under the window.

Today we removed part of the carpet and pad and the wood floor is soaking wet. Does anyone know if there is a water line of some sort that might run in the back of the unit? I can't find any plumbing schematic which shows one but the water has to be coming from somewhere.

Appreciate any advice.
I had that once.
The thing that got me on that one was the pump didn't run. Usually if you have a leak you hear the pump run intermittently and know you have a leak somewhere.
I had a small seeping leak between the tank and the pump. Loose clamp on a line.
So if you don't think it's coming from the roof or window, and your pump is not running telling you that you have a leak, then it's a non pressurized leak from the tank or near the tank. It could also be a leak in your filler tube. Leaks every time you fill up your tank.
Hopefully these ideas give you a clue.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #4
knoxchief

Thanks. I will check all those. I did read on here somewhere that a leak around the window can cause the water to go inside the wall to the carpet and you won't see any wetness on the wall itself. That might also be the case here. Just frustrating when you have a leak.
knoxchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
Sudsy

I remember now that my rear window (kick out emergency exit) was so poorly assembled that you could see light leaking in. I didn't want to disable the kick out function so I got some foam insulation rope. It looks like very small pool noodle. I packed the area between the inner and outer frames and have never had a further problem.

Have someone with a hose spray back while you look for leaks. Start low and work your way to the top if needed. Again a leaky tail ap can do it too.

Sudsy
Old 08-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
Ken & De

Default Same problem

We had same problem in our 2002 Sun Voyager and I had a heck of a time figuring out where it was coming from. It turned out to be coming from the roof and running down the back wall. We had not used the RV for quite a while and by the time I discovered it and started the floor repairs I ended up replacing the whole bedroom floor. You should fix it sooner rather than later.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:47 PM   #7
Photobug17

We have a 2007 Sun Voyager and have had a problem in the rear curbside between the bed and the rear closet, it was coming from the slide. The caulking on the side of the slide near the bottom was leaking, it caused damage to the floor of the slide and seeped into the carpet in the bedroom. Luckily it did not damage the floor of the bedroom, but did have to replace a section of the slide floor. Hope this helps.
Photobug17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #8
dan596

Default 8377 input

Hello,
I second the input on the full width rear, with emergency escape. It only takes someone outside with flashlight or a hose to help you see how poorly it seals when closed. I'd find the bottom window sill full of water from an average rain. Weatherstripping worked for me. I also regularly check and re-caulk the top edge of the window surround. You'd be surprised how small of a pin hole/crack will turn into notable water inside. and that water was running down the inside wall which was quick to find when the wallpaper started buckling.

I also have a smaller side window that leaked around the top edge outside that needed to be re-caulked..same issue with water running down inside wall and collecting on floor.

If your slide seals are not seating/flashing the surround to your slide properly and/or you have a no or leaking slide cover, you can get water coming around your slide. Always good to see that sit properly when slide is out and keep them well conditioned.

Lastly, if you have one piece rear cap then you really want to inspect the cap ridge seal and re-caulk.

I check all the caulk spot on my rig every fall before winterizing and every spring before hitting the road. Inevitably I find at least one spot that can use some touch up.

On a side note, but equally frustrating...the mice love those nice big end caps. I have to keep mouse traps in the space behind the rear lights and regularly check. Worst thing to go along with that wet musty smell is to have it mixed with mouse pee/poo smell.
dan596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
mblais

Default I had 2 problems that did the same thing

Hi,
My first problem was a leaking hot water tank that totally destroyed my floor (Thought that was the cause). Then same issue and it was Also the rear window that leaked behind the wall. I ended up having to remove and rebuild the interior wall.
mblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #10
Jim_PEI

I had a similar problem with my 2008 Gulfstream Independence, but did not notice it for years. Turned out the rubber seal on my bedroom slide near the back corner of the mh was not long enough. Cut too short upon installation by the factory. Wish I found it while I had my extended warrt.