Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-26-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
Ray

Default New Class A

Hi to all GulfStream Owners . I'm getting ready to sign on the dotted line! Looking at a Class A Independence 8359 ( 2008 35 ft. with bunks) My wife and I test drove it last Sat. and fell in love with it !! The problem is there are some things wrong with it already !! Bunk slide had been leaking ( mold on carpet and bedspreads !) They said it was because the outer rubber was kinked ,top half was facing in,bottom half facing out . Display showing radio stations ,volume was messing up. Also outside hand rail rubber was cracking. I know this stuff can be fixed but my concern is can this dealer fix it right and any other problems down the road that might occur ! So far the people at Sandcastle Motors & RV's in Morehead City,NC have been wonderful !!
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
Jobuha

To answer your question It depends on the reputation of the service department . Some dealers are great sellers and lousy fixers. if you did your homework on the dealer you should be able to answer the question. Sounds like an easy fix to your problems and the dealers service dept should be able to handle them with no problems. I would personally have the dealer fix the problems pointed out prior to signing the line. Nothing will make you madder then having to take the Coach back for repairs when its less than a month old. Enjoy

Jobuha
Jobuha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:37 AM   #3
Jobuha

Default rvservice reviews

try this link for rvservice reviews

http://www.rvservicereviews.com

Jobuha
Jobuha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
SueMac

Find one that doesn't have all the problems before you get it! We have a Super Nova where the problems didn't show up until we were driving it back home the beginning of July. Only been able to use it once due to such poor construction. It is either in the shop, at International or we have it torn up rebuilding a lot of the inside that the dealer won't do. (not our selling dealer, they were 1200 miles from home)

Good luck, but don't start with one that already shows problems for most of the time that is just the tip of the iceberg!
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
Ray

Default New Motor Home

Hi Butch, Thanks for your reply. I read that you bought your MH from the RV Show. Did you get a better deal than your local dealer could do on the price ? Also looks like you are having some problems with your new home. Hope everything works out ok !! Looks like I'm only 60 miles south of you, What GS dealer does your warranty work ? take care,Ray
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
RJ82much

Ray,

Butch brings up a very interesting point:

I have always been bugged by the fact that a dealer (RV or automotive) will NEVER repair broken/damaged items before the unit is purchased.

I'm sure the logic is as simple as the dealer will state that the manufacturer won't pay until someone owns it, but come-on.... how disappointing it is for us to buy something broke, then immediately make an appointment to get repairs made.

I wish I had the willpower to tell the salesman to get back to me when everything is fixed. THEN I'll decide if I want to buy.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
SueMac

Somewhere this attitude of "fix it later" has got to stop! If I was showing something to buy, I'd want it in top condition. But it seems that is not the case in the RV world. When I was commenting to a salesman about such poor workmanship they didn't seem to care. The attitude was "So what, they pay us to fix it".

No one seems to want to take a stand and force the manufacturers to improve.

Good luck with your decision.
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:12 PM   #8
zzrv

RJ82much has it right. Have the problems you are aware of fixed BEFORE you sign. The water damage you see now is only the tip of the iceberg. There is probably more damage you cannot see, which will rear its ugly head later.

I know the desire to get this coach is strong, but take a deep breath and think about it for a few days. SueMac is right about looking for another unit without such obvious problems. JMHO
Old 10-26-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
mfa

I hate to give you negative advice, but I would not buy a coach that had water, mold, and mildew damage. It could be far more widespread than you think.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #10
Oleo Ranch

Don't get in a hurry--I did and still paying the price on a 06 Friendship.

Dealer should be willing to fix the problem before buying, however I would look around for one that does not have the leak and mold problem. If it has had time to mold, no telling how much damage may be in other areas, but covered up.

Nothing like buying your ideal coach only to have it stay at the dealer waiting on something from the factory. Their parts delivery process is not the greatest, based on my 4 years trying to do business with them.
Oleo Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:33 PM   #11
rdlamb

Default Hi Ray

Run, do not walk, away from this deal. If you are bound and determined to buy this coach then get in writing, a very detailed description of what work needs to be done, and when. Give the dealer a reasonable time, say 30 days, to get everything done.

Mold is never in one spot. The mold you see is, as others have noted, the tip of the iceburg. You will have a hard time selling a RV with mold visible in it. I would venture that you will suffer a severe depreciation of your RV the minute you buy it if damage, and mold, are present at the sale.

Many times you can buy a late model RV at less than half the cost of new, with all the bugs already identified and repaired.

Best wishes

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #12
RayChez1

Default Molding and Mildew?

I would look for another coach that didn't have this water leak. Spores, Mildew can be very dangerous to your health. I am sure the dealer has or can get you the same type of coach without the problems. Even if they say they will fix it, I would still be a bit leary about the mold.
Anything else does not bother me, but the way you discribe the leak issue???????
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #13
bob3nliz

Send a message via Yahoo to bob3nliz
Default GOOD PLACE

Bill Plemmons RV World NC is worth a look.
bob3nliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:21 PM   #14
dhbando

Default 36 Independence

We own a 36' Independence we bought a new 05 in 06 in AZ as we were passing through we fell in love with it .It did leak in the bedroom from window and slideout Authorized local dealer tested it under pressure and found evey window leaked in the coach replaced everyone ....to make a long story short they did their best and addressed all of our complaints but I still had a feeling they weren't the best quailified so we took a trip to factory in IN were they took care of everything including leaking slide out and luckly no mould had grown they also replaced the rug and leak in the windshield. Eveything seems fine now we love the coach and heading back to AZ Christmas for 3 months.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #15
Donoswife

Default The obvious leaks and damage is only the beginning

I am not an expert of RVing or motor homes, but...our fifth wheel slide leaked everytime it rained. We had to pull up the carpet, dry it out and replace it to prevent the mold, mildew and worse...THE SMELL! You will never get the smell out of the MH once mold and mildew settles in....unless you choose to pull up the floor and start over. I have looked at used RV's with mildew smell that I would never ever buy a brand new MH with any of those obvious problems. It is only a preview of what is to come. I agree with the others who said RUN and find another just like it elsewhere-There are thousands and thousands of MH just like the one you want out there. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #16
mfa

In my case, we bought a new MH that had been sitting on the dealer's lot for 10 months. I figured if there was no sign of water leakage after sitting out in the Florida weather for 10 months, then it must be fairly leak proof.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote