Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-09-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
lbdils

Send a message via ICQ to lbdils Send a message via AIM to lbdils Send a message via MSN to lbdils Send a message via Yahoo to lbdils
Default Stink caps

The factory tells me that we have a vent cap under the slide out bed that may be the problem with sewer smell coming in when the tanks get pretty full. They called them "stink caps" and they are a supposedly one way air vent to allow the tanks to dump properly. Anyone had a similar experience?
lbdils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

Those "stink caps" are called vacuum breakers. They should let air into the line/tank and not out.

I caused an odor in our coach when we installed the Max-air covers over the vents to prevent rain from coming in when it rained and we have the vents open. This changed the air flow across the roof and made the tank stink pipe vent odors come into the coach. I then had to install the RV360 vent pipe covers to eliminate this problem. They work great by creating a negative pressure in the holding tanks and removing any odors out the vent pipe on the roof.

No more odors inside since I installed the RV360 vents.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
lbdils

Send a message via ICQ to lbdils Send a message via AIM to lbdils Send a message via MSN to lbdils Send a message via Yahoo to lbdils
Default Stink caps

Ron, are we talking the same thing. This "valve cap" is on vent tube under our slideout bed?
Old 01-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
lbdils

Default Vacuum breakers/stink caps

Ron, OK I re-read your reply and I think I get it. The vacuum breaker under the bed allows air in (1 way) to let the vent on the roof work properly (air/gas out).
Old 01-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

Default Re: Vacuum breakers/stink caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdils
Ron, OK I re-read your reply and I think I get it. The vacuum breaker under the bed allows air in (1 way) to let the vent on the roof work properly (air/gas out).
You are correct, that is part of there function, the other part is to allow the water to drain down a pipe without vacuum (negative pressure) slowing it down.

Many of the stationary homes now have them installed, our home base does. We have one under each sink in the bathrooms and kitchen as does our motorhome. They do the job as the name implies, Vacuum Breaker. They do not let a vacuum built up in the lines and thus the water ETC. drains down the lines faster.

If you do have a bad one, they can be purchased at Lowe's or any plumbing supply.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote