Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
kioteey

Default Battery Disconnect Switch

We have a 2007 GS Crescendo. On the inside of the stairwell I have a switch that says "Battery Disconnect Switch" however when I press it it stays lit and doesnt seem to do anything. What is it intended for? Also on the drivers switch cluster there is a battery isolater switch, how does this work and how do I use it to my advantage. GS owners manual is so vauge that it does not even touch on this topic. Thnx
kioteey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
larrybell

Default Re: Battery Disconnect Switch

Have you checked DC powered equipment after you actuate the switch? Do you have normal DC coach lights, is the vent fan powered, etc. Lack of power to these or similar electrial loads may indicate the function of the switch. The "battery isolate" switch on my motorhome dash is a supply from the coach batteries to the engine starting motor.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
kioteey

Yes checked all this and it doesn't seem to do much. When we are camping my house batteries go dead, and I can't start the generator in the middle of the nite. I'm forced to start the engine which in turn then I can start the onan and shut the cummins off. All my batteries were load tested and come back good. Should't my house batteries last the nite even if we are minamaly using the furnace? I only had one battery on my previous toyhauler trailer and it lasted all nite with ease. Please any help?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
pgirardet

Hi
I have 2006 Crescendo and I had the same problem. 1. The Battery Disconnect Switch goes to a relay, mine was located in the rear passenger compartment and it was lableled. There is a little orange or red wire to it and it was loose, it is connected behind the big wire and is hard to see. 2. I have a Xantech inverter/charger and it was not charging correctly. To find out if this is your problem: 1. With no shore power, gen running or main engine running, check voltage on batteries with VOM meter using DC volts at 20 volts, probably between 10 and 12 volts. 2. Using generator or shore power, charge batteries, check with VOM meter, should be 13+ to 14+ volts. If it is lower then 12 volts it is not charging correctly. 3. Disconnect shore power or stop gen, start main engine, charging now coming from altenator and should be 14+ on meter. My problem was the battery temperature sensor not reading correctly and was controling the voltage. Disconect the second plug, a data plug, on Xantech inverter/charger, the first one is a phone jack to the remote control panel See attachment. Attatch shore power and check meter, takes 1/2 min. to start charging , should read 13+ volts.
Allison Trans.
2010 Honda Fit Blue OX tow Bar
pgirardet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
kioteey

Thank you for your reply to this issue, I will try these possible solutions. Thank you for the quick reply. Daryl
Old 05-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
kioteey

Okay so I checked all the systems and they seem to be working appropriately. Still can't pinpoint why the battery is being drained so rapidly. Should the Onan not be powered to start off the engine batteries? It makes no sense that they would wire it like that? Just my opinion
Old 05-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
Sundancer268

Quote:
Originally Posted by kioteey
Yes checked all this and it doesn't seem to do much. When we are camping my house batteries go dead, and I can't start the generator in the middle of the nite. I'm forced to start the engine which in turn then I can start the onan and shut the cummins off. All my batteries were load tested and come back good. Should't my house batteries last the nite even if we are minamaly using the furnace? I only had one battery on my previous toyhauler trailer and it lasted all nite with ease. Please any help?

Don't you have a battery cross connect switch in your coach? When I run into that situation, I just push the connect switch on the dash and use the chassis battery to start the generator. You should not have to start the main engine to get the generator started.
Air Force One Brake System
Sundancer268 is offline   Reply With Quote