Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-10-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
CharlieA

Default Problems with new unit

We have a new 2007 Friendship G8 that we purchased in Feb. We just started on a eight month trip around the country,
On day one the refrigerator died, a temp sensor failed
After the ref we had several exterior doors with loose hinges that opened up as we were driving.
The next week we had a cabinet door fall, the screws are pulled out of the wood and one of the drawers in the bedroom broke, it had nothing in it.
During the first hard rain storm we found that there is a major leak above the door, where the awning attaches to the unit
Then the front AC unit died
After that we developed a major fuel leak, once that was fixed they found that the oil pan was leaking
This has all happen since we left on Sept 5th. Has anyone else had these type of problems
CharlieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Arthur Hayes

When I read your letter I thought, wow how could so much go wrong. Then I thought about my unit which is just over a year old now. I have had cabinet doors come loose, drawers come apart and the table come apart. All of these problems I repaired myself and generally made them stronger and better. I did have a problem with the bed room slides which was due to a loose screw and the jacks failed due to a defective control module. These were repaired under the warranty. My RCA cables that go the the outside entertainment center have never worked and I am still trying to repair them. But fortunately I haven't had any leaks yet from water or fuel and oil. Even after all that I have experienced when someone ask me about the unit, I say it has had only minor problems. Maybe I am in denial.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
SueMac

Unfortunately, this seems to be the norm with a lot of RV's.
IMHO the manufacturers could do a much better job when assemblying them so we wouldn't have the doors coming loose, cabinet drawers falling apart etc. etc. But even they don't have any control over the components that are installed. Circuit boards fail, etc. is beyond their control. When it all happens at once, it is hard to deal with.

I won't even go into all the problems with our Super Nova and 75% of them are a direct result of poor manufacturing. But we are getting the problems fixed, either by us doing it and making it better or by a local repair service.

It is just too bad the first year is such a pain!
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:48 PM   #4
bob3nliz

Send a message via Yahoo to bob3nliz
Default Hang in there it should all work out

Unfortunately I've had some of the same problems. But with GS help it's all coming to a end. I guess the first year is the hardest on all rvs. I'm so glad GS is standing behind this uint. AFTER GS takes care of me. When I'm ask I'll say the same thing had a few problems all is good now. But hope I am not in denial because GS has taking care of me.
bob3nliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:10 AM   #5
SueMac

After finding the right people at GS, they have given us great support in getting the problems fixed. It is just too bad it takes ranting and raving to find the right folks!

The first year is the worst in most cases. Hopefully once we get through all the mess ups we'll have a coach that we enjoy using.

We've had coaches that didn't have a lot wrong and others that have. When asked about this one, I'll tell the folks what manufacturing problems we had and what to check out. But with all the problems, our coach has some positives too.

I'm not sure I'd buy another GS, but the problems are not limited to this manufacturer. I've seen it in just about them all.

Good luck with the repairs.
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
bob3nliz

Default Things will work out

Thank you Sue. Bob-n-Liz
Old 10-14-2007, 02:25 PM   #7
hyall

Default Re: Hang in there it should all work out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob3nliz
Unfortunately I've had some of the same problems. But with GS help it's all coming to a end. I guess the first year is the hardest on all rvs. I'm so glad GS is standing behind this uint. AFTER GS takes care of me. When I'm ask I'll say the same thing had a few problems all is good now. But hope I am not in denial because GS has taking care of me.
Same here GS stood by us completely going on the first year
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
Oleo Ranch

If Gulfstream is so great with their after sale service, what has changed since 2005 when I bought a 2005 Friendship G7/Cummins?
Oleo Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:07 PM   #9
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleo Ranch
If Gulfstream is so great with their after sale service, what has changed since 2005 when I bought a 2005 Friendship G7/Cummins?
We had no problems with Gulf Stream standing behind any warranty work that was needed on our 2004 coach.

I have read and heard that some did and some did not have any problems. Seems to be a mixed bag, Why? Guess many times it is the dealer and the person that is worked with at Gulf Stream. It shouldn't make a difference, but just think of each of us and our work experiences at our own place of work or business. Are there some that will do things to get out of work or not do the job that they are supposed to do????

With forums like we have here it will get harder and harder for any business not to give the level of service that is expected and should be given to the customer for the product that was purchased. Any company that does not want to listen and improve the service will suffer with lower sales and less capital $$$$$$.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:06 PM   #10
bob3nliz

Default Good Point

Ron, Good Point ,Hope they are listening.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:40 PM   #11
RayChez1

Default Re: Problems with new unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieA
We have a new 2007 Friendship G8 that we purchased in Feb. We just started on a eight month trip around the country,
On day one the refrigerator died, a temp sensor failed
After the ref we had several exterior doors with loose hinges that opened up as we were driving.
The next week we had a cabinet door fall, the screws are pulled out of the wood and one of the drawers in the bedroom broke, it had nothing in it.
During the first hard rain storm we found that there is a major leak above the door, where the awning attaches to the unit
Then the front AC unit died
After that we developed a major fuel leak, once that was fixed they found that the oil pan was leaking
This has all happen since we left on Sept 5th. Has anyone else had these type of problems
I believe all motorhomes have shake down problems when you first buy them. That is when you make a list of everything you find wrong and take the coach to the dealer where you bought it and Gulfstream was very good with us fixing everything we complained about. But it is not just Gulfstream coaches. I have friends with a brand new Beaver Thunder that has had lots of problems, and another with a Monaco Diplomat that they had to remove the whole roof because water had gotten into the walls.
I had a few things when my coach was new, but once they were corrected I have not had any problems since I bought it new. Friendship is suppose to be a good coach and very few complaints on them. Hope Gulfstream is helping you out. The leak on the oil pan would be the manufacturer of the engine not Gulfstream.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #12
Beaufort NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
Quote:
The leak on the oil pan would be the manufacturer of the engine not Gulfstream.
Often there is a problem when there is an issue over whose responsibility a given issue is. We're spent no small amount of time and energy trying to settle one or two of those.
Workhorse chassis
Cummins 330 ISC
Toad: 2015 Jeep GC Summit
Beaufort NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #13
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaufort NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
Quote:
The leak on the oil pan would be the manufacturer of the engine not Gulfstream.
Often there is a problem when there is an issue over whose responsibility a given issue is. We're spent no small amount of time and energy trying to settle one or two of those.
Cummins ISL & ISC engines have had a lot of problems lately. The biggest problem was when diesel went to the ULSD. Cummins never did change gaskets on the lift pumps and they were leaking right away on brand new units. Now! they have a recall on certain series of engines for defective wrist pins and they are throwing rods out through the block. But all that is Cummins problems, not Gulfstreams. Gulfstream is actually only responsible for the house part.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:43 PM   #14
Beaufort NC

I think that the principal place you can get into trouble is the chassis wiring, because both the coach and chassis manufacturers get involved with it. This single issue gave us many hours of issues with our new home over the first several months. To make matters worse, the nearest Workhouse facility is almost a hundred miles, so things got testy on an occasion or two. If the issue is clear, no problem, but if it's a gray area, you feel almost like you're in that wonderful limbo between Microsoft and Dell, if you get my drift.
Workhorse chassis
Cummins 330 ISC
Toad: 2015 Jeep GC Summit
Beaufort NC is offline   Reply With Quote