Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-26-2019, 03:14 PM   #1
Bruce1953

Default Rm2551 question

I have a Golf Stream trailer with a RM 2551 Dometic refrigerator. Question the freezer works fine but the lower unit only
Cools down to 50 deg any ideas?
Thanks,
Bruce1953
Bruce1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
VaHappyCamper

I did two things to mine. First, I installed dual fans next to the upper refrigerator vent (side or top of the camper). This helps get the heat away from the coils. The second thing I did was to install a battery operated fridge fan (available from a lot of sources, Amazon seems to be the cheapest). The helps to circulate the cold air from the bottom of the freezer and allows it to circulate throughout the rest of the fridge. You can also find instructions on the forum to install an electric fan inside the fridge section that avoids having to replace the batteries on about a monthly basis. The one that I saw that I liked the best was to run the power cord for the fan out the drain tube so that you don't have to drill any holes in the refrigerator for the power cord. Contact me if you have any other questions on this.
VaHappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:48 AM   #3
VaHappyCamper

I installed dual fans in the fridge compartment to pull the heat out of the area of the fridge. I then purchased a battery operated fan to run inside the fridge to circulate the air. There are also instructions on wiring a fan inside the fridge to circulate that air. Let me know if you need any more help.
VaHappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #4
bmojmhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce1953 View Post
I have a Golf Stream trailer with a RM 2551 Dometic refrigerator. Question the freezer works fine but the lower unit only
Cools down to 50 deg any ideas?
Thanks,
Bruce1953
You don't say where you live. You will find that the RV fridges are temperature sensitive. If it gets above 90F (I may be off by a few degrees) the fridge will not work very well. Then, the only way to fix it is move the trailer or add a fan as recommended elsewhere in the replyies.

I live in the Pacific Northwest so temperature is not a problem. I usually winter I Nevada so it's not a problem then either. However one September I was in Las Vegas for a week and the temp was around 100F. That was a struggle to keep the fridge cool. I didn't add any fans as I don't usually need one.
bmojmhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #5
Jgarner401

Default Dometic fridge

If you will look on the far right hand side of the cooling fins at the top of the fridge section you should see a white slide clipped to the fin. Slide it up to lower the temperature. Mine will begin to freeze produce after a couple of days as we reduce the contents, and the slide has to be adjusted down.
Great fridge!
Jgarner401 is offline   Reply With Quote